Join us at Tahoe Donner's Alder Creek Adventure Center in Truckee, CA for adaptive equestrian lessons! Participants learn horsemanship and/or riding skills in an environment designed to fit their needs and learning styles and improve physical, cognitive, emotional, and social well-being for people of all abilities. Lessons may be limited to horsemanship skills only for certain disabilities, as determined by the on-site instruction team.
This program is made possible by our partnership with the Tahoe Donner Association.
Schedule & Rates
Lesson Time: 9:00am - 1:00pm
Summer 2021 Dates:
Thursday, August 26th*
Thursday, September 2nd*
Thursday, September 9th*
Thursday, September 16th
Thursday, September 23rd
Thursday, September 30th
*Participants without ambulatory aids (wheelchairs, walkers, etc.) only for the first three program dates.
Cost: $120 per lesson
IF COST IS A BARRIER TO YOUR ABILITY TO PARTICIPATE WITH ACHIEVE TAHOE, PLEASE APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP HERE.
Please complete and return the following forms prior to participating in an activity with us.
Completed forms can be sent by email, fax, or mail.
Email to: [email protected]
Fax to: (530) 999-2245
Mail to: Achieve Tahoe, P.O. Box 8339, Truckee, CA 96162
Footwear Policy: Participants must wear closed-toed shoes with heels during the lesson.
- Maintain social distancing protocol of 6 feet of separation from non-related parties independently or with the assistance of a care provider when not actively participating in an activity.
- Wear an appropriate protective face covering when in close contact with others.
- Attest independently or with the assistance of a care provider whether one has potentially been exposed to or has contracted COVID19.
- Remove oneself from the activity independently or with the assistance of a care provider if showing signs of illness.
Essential Eligibility Criteria for Participation
For the health and safety of our community, in order to participate in the Achieve Tahoe Equestrian Program, a participant must meet the criteria listed below.
- If the participant has had a traumatic injury, or surgery/medical treatments that affected your activities of daily living in the past 12 months, they can only participate with a doctor’s release stating that they have been cleared to participate in high-risk sports.
- If help is needed with bladder or bowel routine, feeding tube, or administering prescription medications a care provider or family member will be present to assist.
- Participant can be independent of supplemental oxygen for a sustained period of time at high elevation.
- For participants with Down Syndrome, the participant must have been examined by a physician for Neurologic Symptoms of Atlantoaxial Instability, found the symptoms to be absent, and has been cleared to participate in high risk sports.
- The minimum age for participation in the equestrian program is 5.
To reserve your spot, please call (530) 581-4161 x6 or email [email protected] with your preferred dates.
Please note: August 26th, September 2nd, and September 9th program dates are available for participants without ambulatory aids (wheelchairs, walkers, etc.) only. September 16th, 23rd, and 30th are available for all participants.
If cost is a barrier to your ability to participate with Achieve Tahoe, please apply for a scholarship here.